Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for October, 2010

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Read Full Post »

Hi all a good few things to report as well as requests for your action.

1.First see links to The A3 new sheet we produced. You can get more paper copies by letting us know. And can see a copy of it to download and share with email contact online here, at our website and on facebook group. We handed out a few hundred on this weeks PSA / TUC rally in Newcastle.

https://tynewearleftunity.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/project2_layout-2-page-01.pdf

https://tynewearleftunity.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/project2_layout-2-page-02.pdf

2. Next Left unity public meeting is thurs 14th Oct 7pm St johns church hall, granger St, Newcastle. How to defeat the ConDem cuts and what’s the socialist alternative with local union speaker and left unity speaker. Please come bring people and join this important debate.

3. Building the Public Service Alliance. Left Unity is committed to building and helping to play a central role in the campaign against the cuts working primarily through the PSA. At local PSA meetings were are taking initiatives in organizing stalls, writing leaflets and building for protests and proposing public meetings to draw more people in. See notes action points from Newcastle PSA meeting this week. Below. Would be great if people could help with two specific PSA stalls next week
a. Thurs 7th Oct city centre stall, monument 5 – 6.30pm contact ed 07740099479 or just turn up.
b. Sat 9th Oct gosforth high street ( shopping centre) 10 – 12noon. See reports at bottom of this email.

4. Future PSA northern meetings. We want to get reports from all the groups and help to build them. We know our networks in left unity are very wide so please get to your local PSA and help make them work and grow and get reports for our LU website of all actions as well as of all cuts announced, so we can help build the opposition. If you cannot attend next meeting email the coordinator and get on the mailing list and offer to help with stalls and activity

Coalition Meeting Dates / Coordinators

Coalition Coordinator Date Time Venue
South Tyneside Gemma Taylor, Unison

g.taylor

24th August

23rd September

5.30pm South Shields Town Hall, Committee Room A
North Tyneside Charlie Syme, Unison

c.syme

26th August

14th September

5.30pm Wallsend People’s Centre
Newcastle Jess Khoshooee

j.khoshooee

31st August

28th September

5.30pm Unison Regional Office, 140 Pilgrim Street, Newcastle
Sunderland Helen Finkill, Unison

h.finkill

1st September

6th October

5.30pm Sunderland Civic Centre, Room 2
Durham Peter Chapman, Unison

P.chapman2

1st September

27th September

21st October

5.30pm County Hall, Durham, Committee Room 2
Northumberland Lynne Nelson, Unison

l.nelson

Tony Martin, Unison

A.Martin2

6th September

4th October

5.30pm

6.00pm

Methodist Church Hall, Morpeth

Morpeth Methodist Church, Howard Terrace, Morpeth, NE61 1HU

Teesside Mike Hill, Unison

m.hill

8th September

6th October

5.30pm St Mary’s Centre, Corporation Road, Middlesbrough
Gateshead Gill Toward, Unison

G.Toward

21st September 5.30pm Gateshead Civic Centre, Council Chamber
Coalition Coordinator Date Time Venue
Barrow Debbie Hamilton, Unison

debhamilton

13th September 6.00pm GMB Office, Hartington Street, Barrow
Carlisle & Penrith Dave Berry, PCS

david.berry

25th August

8th September

5.30pm Unison Office, 6 Spencer Street, Carlisle
Allerdale & Copeland Lynda Stephenson, PCS

Lynda.Stephenson

1st September

13th September

6.00pm

6.00pm

GMB Office, 4 Scotch Street, Whitehaven

Royal British Legion, Workington

These are notes circulated by Jess from unison who facilitates the meeting. most of the proposals came from Vicki, David or ed from LU. A couple of things that were missed off were. Vicki proposed we need to think big and aim for getting an empty shopfront for the PSA. Which we could staff with volunteers. It was felt by some that we didn’t have money for this. but others felt we needed to think big and this proposal as well as aiming to have full page adverts local papers, and we asked for these proposals to be took to the steering group by clare from unison.

Also Ed proposed that we look to organising a big public meeting in Newcastle at the end of October early November when we know more about the funding review but to have TU speakers discussing our response to specific cutsand bringing union and community reps together to have big discussion about way forward. Clare said they were discussing this at the central steering committee although had initially planned to do this in new year.

newcastle meeting on tues 28 sept

Action Points


Invitation to GHS head teacher to open meeting/debate to discuss Academy – Newcastle City UNISON Branch

Campaign for primary schools/letters to TU members in area for discussion in PSA steering group (Clare Williams)

Anti Academy leaflet to be sent to Jess Khoshooee for PSA branding(David Manasse)

No to Academy stickers (Jess Khoshooee)

Anti-academy stall on Gosforth High Street (JK to coordinate) 9th October 10am – 12

Leaflet on local impact of CSR on different sectors (information by group fed to JK)

Facebook site on leaflets (JK)

Draft Labour motion to be emailed to group (JK)

City Centre Stall 1 x month on Thursday (all) – first 7/10/10 5 – 6.30pm

Campaign Pack to be arranged (JK)

Local group setting to be added to Northern PSA Facebook site (JK)

Next meeting Tuesday 26th October at 5.30pm

Sent from my iPad

Read Full Post »

%d bloggers like this: